The issue of the remediation of contaminated sites has accompanied our society for quite some time. Increased environmental awareness and the general densification of infrastructure require measures for the remediation of former industrial properties.
Our comprehensive competence in all disciplines of water treatment and environmental technology enables us to implement cost-optimized, complete solutions from a single source for any complex tasks in this context.
SOIL AIR AND GROUNDWATER REMEDIATION FOR VARIOUS TYPES OF CONTAMINATION
For both private and public clients, we secure and remediate groundwater and soil air at sites contaminated, among other things, by
- Fluorinated surfactants (PFAS),
- Heavy metals, especially arsenic,
- Radioactive residues,
- Hydrocarbon mixtures (CHC, CKW, CFC, PAH, etc.),
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH),
- Nitroaromatics or
- Light phases (TPH, etc.)
CUSTOMISED PLANTS FOR YOUR REMEDIATION OF CONTAMINATED SITES
Due to our advanced know-how and our highly experienced employees, we are able to offer you the design, turnkey construction and operation of fully automated remediation plant.
The complete equipment for these systems, comprising the mechanical, electrical, automation, process control and telecontrol technology as well as state-of-the-art digital solutions for remote monitoring and operation, enables you to customize your plant to your exact requirements.
Preliminary investigations, pilot and demonstration tests as well as process optimization are just as much a part of our range of services as the establishment of innovative process technologies in existing renovations.
RENOVATION METHODS: FROM INNOVATIVE TO CLASSIC
In addition to the classic remediation methods in pump-and-treat and air-sparging/soil air systems, PWT's portfolio also includes innovative in-situ remediation methods:
- In-situ biological oxidation (ISBO) or Enhanced Natural Attenuation (ENA) under dosage of oxygen or oxygen donors such as air or nitrate
- In-situ chemical oxidation (ISCO) with dosing of oxidizing agents such as potassium permanganate or hydrogen peroxide
- IIn-situ biological reduction (ISBR) with dosing of C-sources like molasses, ethanol, etc.
- In-situ reactive walls (ISRW) usually used as funnel-and-gate measure
- Thermal in-situ remediation by injection of steam or with solid heat sources.
OUR CURRENT RESEARCH FOCUSES IN ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGY
PWT is constantly involved in research projects and pilot projects with partners from industry, public authorities and science in order to continuously develop our know-how.
Current examples of our investigations:
- For Enhanced Organic Recovery (EOR) with alcohol washing and surfactant washing to mobilization phase in the unsaturated soil zone,
- For thermal in-situ remediation with solid heat sources,
- For the use of zeolites for ammonium elimination
- To ISCO and ISBO processes with potassium permanganate and H2O2 dosage for CHC hearth remediation and the application of the dosage of nitrate and oxygen-saturated water for biological activation in the contaminant cream.
UNIQUE SOLUTIONS FOR THE CHALLENGES OF ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGY
PWT has developed its own equipment and processes for some tasks and technologies. Look at the following examples:
- Denitrification (nitrate elimination) in a fluidized bed reactor with an external C source (DENICARB process),
- Nitrosamine elimination through UV technology,
- Catalytic afterburning of VOCs in the gas or electrically operated KATOX plants,
- The skimming of floating oil phase or light phase with PWT oil phase suction.